me, watching late-night talk show

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Uncanny

Sigmund Freud descibes "uncanny" as somrthing that is familiar but different. This kind of feeling causes something called "cognitive dissonance" where you have two paradoxical feeling about a oject, idea, or a person. A very interesting subject. A good example of "uncanny" would be if my dad, who has facial hair (mustache and trimmed beard) suddenly shaved everything, his mustache included, it would be a very strange feeling for me because I have NEVER seen my dad without a mustache, exect in pictures when he was in high school, and I haven't seen him without a half-beard in over ten years. If I were to see now, without any facial hair, he would look a very different person, even though I've known him all my life. It would be a very uncanny experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment